Teak is a tropical hardwood, used for centuries on boats and ships because of its resistance to moisture, its extreme durability, and its natural beauty. For these same reasons, Teak is an ideal wood to use in the kitchen. Its naturally high oil content and hard wood grain will keep your knives sharp. With minimal care and attention your cutting board will look beautiful for years to come.
1. Teaks Natural Water Resistance - Do to its naturally high oil content, Teak is known for its resistance to water. This is one reason why it has been usedfor centuries on boats and ships as well as for outdoor furniture, siding, decking and cladding. Where warping may be an issue for many other woods used in the kitchen, Teak holds up very well to repeated washings and fluctuations in moisture because of its low shrinkage ratio. Teak holds up so well to water, that you will find furniture all over the world made from reclaimed teak wood that has been pulled out from rivers and canals! Some thousands of years old!
2. Teaks Extreme Durability - Teak is a slow growing tree, with a tight grain, making it an ideal choice for crafting heavily used objects such as furniture and cutting boards. Its natural oils make it highly resistant to rot, bacteria, fungi, and mildew, a very important quality in the kitchen. Also requiring little maintenance, Teak can be left alone for years and still retain its beautiful wood grain. I often hear customers tell me that they still use their grandmothers Teak butcher block that has been in the family for 50 year!
3. Teaks High Oil Content - Teak has an extremely high natural oil content, making it not only water resistant, but also extremely durable and resistant to bacteria, termites, and other bugs. These qualities make teak a great choice for outdoor kitchen applications as well. Many customers purchase our larger Teak carving boards for their outdoor grilling stations.
4. Teaks Natural Beauty - The rich tones, and natural coloring of Teak make it one of the most beautiful woods out there. Ranging from bright reds, to dark browns and blacks, to blondes, you will never get two pieces of Teak that look exactly the same. The beautiful wood grains in Teak complement almost any kitchen style, and cutting boards & butcher blocks made from Teak wood are so beautiful they can be left out on the counter top.
5. Teaks Longevity - Due to all of the reasons above, you can see that Teak is a hardwood that will last for years and years in your kitchen. With minimal knife marking, and resistance to extreme wear and tear - put a Teakhaus butcher block by Proteak in your kitchen now and in 50 years it may be owned by your grandchildren!
From planting the seed, to shipping a beautiful cutting board to your front door, Teakhaus by Proteak is committed to sustainable business practices.
We are F.S.C. Certified
We own and operate all of our own plantation forests in Latin America. Each plantation follows rigorous social and environmental standards set forth by the Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC), a not-for-profit organization committed to responsible management of the worlds forests. This certification is an important way for us to guarantee the claims that we make, and demonstrate to the consumer that our products and principles are in compliance with excellent sustainable practices and conservation of biodiversity. Our cutting boards are truly " from our forest to your home."
We are committed to social responsibility
We are passionately committed to the agricultural communities by providing quality jobs with fair wages in traditionally low income areas of Latin America. We are also compliant with the 10 principles of the United Nations World Pact relating to human rights, labor standards, the environment and the fight against corruption.
Posted on October 16, 2015